Shelf Full of Books

Home and Away: A World War II Christmas Story by Dean Hughes

Home and Away: A World War II Christmas Story - Dean Hughes

Home and Away was a poignant reminder of the tense and traumatic times families went through during WWII. The Hayes family had not heard from Glen for a few weeks and Christmas was approaching. Their fears for their son and brother were mounting. Was he alright? Was he injured or worse? Why hadn’t they heard from him? How would he be spending his Christmas?

The vivid detail of war in the trenches brought fear for the men who fought those battles crawling up my spine. The contrast of how some of the people on American soil felt about going to war and the actual realities of war couldn’t have been made clearer. War is glorified when it’s at a distance, but it’s bloody, dirty, cold and gruesome in the trenches.

At home, Dennis learns a lot about himself, his father and his desire to follow his brother by enlisting when he turns seventeen. He works so hard to purchase that special gift for his mother, but will he be able to do it?

The twists and turns in Home and Away create the drama that makes this book so hard to put down. It will remind you that on the other side of your gun is another soldier whose mother is praying that her son comes back whole and uninjured too.

I’ve never been to war, and Home and Away assures me that I neither want to go to war or send my children to war. I thought it was an incredible read and I would highly recommend it. I gave it a rating of 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publishers via NetGalley for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/11/home-and-away-blog-tour-and-giveaway.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/11/home-and-away-blog-tour-and-giveaway.html