Shelf Full of Books

Westly: A Spider's Tale

Westly: A Spider's Tale - Bryan Beus

Westly: A Spider’s Tale was an excellent story. I found it to be immediately engaging. Westly a scrawny, ugly little caterpillar was supposed to be the son of the Monarch Butterfly King, but when he emerged from his cocoon, he was not a butterfly at all, but a spider! Since he wasn’t a butterfly he could neither rule the after his father nor remain in the kingdom.

Now, of course, we know that spiders hatch from egg sacks and butterflies take weeks to hatch from their cocoons, but this story is a fantasy/fairy tale and so the author has taken liberties with reality and we allow him that. Besides, it makes the story flow more quickly and this story isn’t based in reality anyway since the insects all talk.

I thought the theme of the story was an important one – discovering who you are and believing in yourself– Westly really had some identity issues. He wasn’t one of the sky dwellers, he didn’t feel like one of the dirt eaters and in trying to discover who he was, he got himself and everyone else into a whole mess of trouble. The story touched on a few other themes as well such as family, friendship, loyalty and cooperation.

There were a lot of twists and turns in this novel. They kept the book moving along very swiftly, making the story a fairly quick book to finish reading.

I enjoyed the author’s personification of each of the insects. I thought he did a great job of bringing each one of them to life. The creatures in the well I found rather disturbing, but kids being kids, they will probably love that – most of them anyway.

Westly: A Spider’s Tale was a great adventure story. I really liked the cover of the book. It’s actually what attracted me to the book in the first place. If your child enjoys fantasy stories, I would suggest you pick this book up for him or her. I gave this book 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publishers for providing this book via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/09/westly-spiders-tale-book-tour-with-bria.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/09/westly-spiders-tale-book-tour-with-bria.html