Shelf Full of Books

Nirvana by J.R. Stewart

Nirvana - J.R. Stewart

The world that Larissa Kenders lives in is a bleak one. With the death of all the bees, a world-wide chain reaction in the ecology of the planet has caused massive food shortages and other disasters. Hexagon has brought order back to the world such as it is.

Kenders’ belief that Andrew was still alive despite the military’s insistence that he was dead after their searches for him was tearing her apart. The time she spent in Nirvana, a virtual world where anything can happen, and she could visit with Andrew only cemented in her mind that Andrew was still alive. Yet still the military wanted her to sign the death certificate and make it final.

Was it possible that there was a conspiracy in Hexagon? Andrew’s work for them was top secret. Kenders didn’t know what he was researching. And his contract stated that Hexagon was not responsible for his death or disappearance.

Kenders’ time in Nirvana and then in her friend’s private VR while she was in the Bubble began to blur with reality so much that she began to confuse the two. Solving the mystery of whether or not Andrew was alive was her top priority and amid the twists and turns of the story she comes across an amazing discovery.

This is one of those books that are hard to write a review for without giving anything away. It was very intriguing and once you’ve read the author’s bio, it will leave you wondering how close science fiction is coming to science fact.

Nirvana is a thought-provoking speculative science fiction novel where the use of virtual reality could have profound psychological and emotional effects on the users. Even as we see the addictive nature of technology in the form of phones and tablets, with VR encompassing more of the user’s senses, I think the addictiveness will be even greater. How long can an individual survive in virtual reality?

I found Nirvana to be most enjoyable as a mystery and science fiction novel. Knowing that VR technology is just around the corner on the market makes this book all the more interesting as we watch as see how close to reality it may come. I am looking forward to the next book in this series. I gave this novel a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to the publishers via NetGalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/11/book-review-nirvana-nirvana-series-book.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/11/book-review-nirvana-nirvana-series-book.html