Shelf Full of Books

Abandon by Blake Crouch

Abandon - Blake Crouch

Blake Crouch’s books are known for suspense and Abandon is definitely no let-down in this area. Moving back and forth between one town separated by 116 years he tells the horrific tale of what happened on Christmas Day in 1893.

The twists and turns in the tale are surprisingly similar between the two centuries as though history is repeating itself. Even Mother Nature played its own role in trying to keep the secrets of the town of Abandon from being fully discovered in both time periods.

Betrayals, murder and even a long overdue reconciliation are part of Abandon’s story. What could the secret be though? What could cause an entire population of a town to leave their Christmas dinners on the table partially eaten and simply vanish without a trace?

This fast-paced novel will have you reading until well into the wee hours of the night just to get to the end of the book. Then you might think twice about heading into a cave on your holidays. The ending in both centuries was a surprise.

The characters in the novel really surprised me because they totally did not turn out to be who they seemed to be. It’s not that they weren’t realistic; they were. They simply had other agendas.

As a suspense novel with horror elements, I found Abandon to be top-notch. It grabbed my attention and held on to it all the way through. The only negative thing I would have to say about it in that regard is that I found the swearing rather off-putting.

I could imagine seeing Abandon as a movie. If you enjoy suspense novels, you are very much likely to enjoy Abandon. I would recommend it to you. I rated it 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publishers for providing a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/09/book-review-abandon-by-blake-crouch.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/09/book-review-abandon-by-blake-crouch.html