Shelf Full of Books

Daimones by Massimo Marino

Imagine waking up one morning as usual, heading to work, and discovering along the way that everyone around you was dead – in their cars, waiting for the bus, walking along the street, wherever they were. Only you and your little family were alive. That was Dan Amenta’s experience.

Daimones is a book about survival in a harsh new reality where survivors, if there are any, are few and far between. On a planet of seven billion people, how can so many have been instantly, or near instantly been killed? What (or who?) did it? How? Why?

Dan and his wife Mary, his 12-year-old daughter Annah pull together and learn skills they need to survive in this new era and bond together even more closely as a family than ever before since they have no one else to rely on. We see the Annah’s despair and fear as she realizes that if they are the only ones left, that she will never fall in love, and that eventually she will be the last person left on the planet, entirely alone.

Dan’s search for other survivors leads to quite a number of twists and turns in the plot including having his little family adapt in new ways that even he would never have predicted.

Even more unexpected is when an event from his past proves important to the events to the present and future.

I would have to say that the twists and turns in the plot of Daimones were most unexpected and took me, as the reader, to places I was totally not expecting to go. The book was moderately paced at the beginning as it built in intensity, building the scene of desolation around the world. Then the pace picked up towards the second half of the book.

I thought that Daimones was a very interesting science fiction read. I gave it a rate of 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publishers for providing a copy of the book via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/book-review-and-trailer-daimones-by.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/book-review-and-trailer-daimones-by.html