Shelf Full of Books

Apocalypse Cult by Alex Seigel

Apocalypse Cult is a book for adult audiences due to the language and violence. Aaron Glade becomes a part of the Gray Spear Society, a secret society created in Roman times to help God keep control over the world in this first book of the series they are fighting the Church of One Soul who follow Simon who in turn is led by an angel called Sroash. Simon plans to unite the world and become the world leader by causing a world war. It's up to the Gray Spear Society to stop him without anyone knowing.

If you enjoy pulp fiction with a ton of action and a touch of the paranormal, then Apocalypse Cult might just be the book you are looking for.  There was definitely a lot of action. Most of it involved bloodshed by gunfire or blades of some sort. The story was simply laid out and easy to follow.

There were lots of twists and turns in the plot and the pacing of the story was quite fast. This was not a story that made you think much however, it was more about the action.

The love interest was not really love in my opinion, but rather lust, as it was based solely on his attraction to her body and the reason for Aaron joining the Gray Spear Society in the first place. The characters tended to be somewhat flat and they didn't even show much emotion when one of their own died.

Apocalypse Cult had a moderate amount of profanity, not quite enough to make me put it down though. (I don't swear but given the situations they were in, if I were in the same place I might be tempted to let a few bad words slip too.)

Those who enjoy a fast-paced read lots of action with a simple plot line and don't mind bloodshed and profanity may enjoy this book. I gave it 2 stars out of 5. I thought it was okay, though I likely won’t read any of the other books in the series.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/07/book-review-apocalypse-cult-by-alex.html