Shelf Full of Books

Murder Freshly Baked by Vanessa Chapman

I haven’t read an Amish novel in a while and this one was different which was why I was so looking forward to reading it. I had never read an Amish murder mystery, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised.

What I found were characters with depth to them as evidenced by their interactions as they helped one another with their sometimes intensely difficult personal situations. The novel was more than just about the murder; it was about the community of people.

This was the third book in the series of Amish-style detective work that main characters Amber and Hannah were involved in trying to track down a killer. But this killer hasn’t killed anyone yet. This killer keeps leaving poetic notes and a pie warning that the pie is poisoned.

This novel is not fast-paced, but flows along at a pleasant speed for the type of read that it is. There is some romance between a few of the characters and as the author herself says, it is fiction full of grace.

While this is a novel that fits in the genre of Christian fiction, it certainly does not preach at you. Whatever you believe I think you will find this book an enjoyable read.

I liked that the author used some of the words the Amish use and provided a glossary. The words were linked to the glossary so it made looking up the word very easy if you were not able to figure it out from context. The use of these words in the conversations between the characters helped to give a more authentic feel to their Amish heritage.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Murder Freshly Baked. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Amish novels, or to anyone who wants to try something a little different along the lines of a murder mystery. I gave this one 5 stars out of 5.

I received this book from the publishers via Booklook Bloggers in exchange for my fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-murder-freshly-baked-by.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-murder-freshly-baked-by.html