Shelf Full of Books

God's Buried Children by Daniel Farcas

Daniel Farcas’ father was a chauffeur for the American Embassy during the Communist reign before 1989. His mother was Romanian. His father left Romania before he was born, leaving his mother to raise him alone. When she died, no one wanted him, so he was sent to an orphanage in Bucharest.

God’s Buried Children is Daniel’s journal account of life in the orphanage and of life on the streets, living in the sewers of Bucharest as a homeless teenager. The descriptions of the daily happenings in the orphanage were so brutal it is unimaginable to think that the orphanage caregivers were put in place to care for the well-being of children. We are told of the basement punishment where if you fell asleep in the dark, you ran the risk of the rats eating your fingers and toes. Daily rapings were not uncommon. It was safer to run away and live on the street than stay in the orphanage.

Life in the sewer was not easy either. Daniel lived together with several friends from the orphanage. They banded together as family, helping one another out as best they could.

In 1989 the revolution against the communist regime of Nicolae Ceauscu arose and placed the country in upheaval. We learn of some of the stories of what happened to some of his friends and discover where Daniel ended up after the Anticommunist Revolution.

This novel was written in English which is Daniel’s second language. As such, the grammar and spelling reflect this, making the book somewhat difficult to read at times, though the ideas do come across. In some ways it increases the authenticity of the book because it adds to the voice of the speaker who is from a different land and shows that he speaks with an accent, rather than speaking with perfect English.

The brutal conditions in which Daniel lived are hard to read about but the book is inspirational in that he escaped from those horrible conditions and is using the funds from the sales of his book and his time to help families from other countries make their way to the US through http://www.MyAmericanKids.com.

God’s Buried Children is a testament to the courage and strength that those children had in order to survive through the years in the orphanage and during life in the sewers. I gave this book 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/07/book-review-gods-buried-children-by.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/07/book-review-gods-buried-children-by.html