Shelf Full of Books

The Yummy Adventures of Celia and Cedric: Amazing Apples

In this first book of the series, Celia is bored until her father asks her to do something for him that leads her into many adventures. She makes a new friend and the two families get together for dinner.

I liked this story as the children are from two different racial backgrounds. There is no racism here. The pictures are sharp and colourful and while the story explains some of the big words it uses such as nutritionist, it does not “talk down” to children.

I think this would be a good book to use in the classroom or in a homeschooling situation where the teacher wanted to teach about nutrition. I also liked that the book includes the recipes for the Amazing Apple Cake. There were 3 versions in this book.

I had my test baker make two of them – the gluten-free variety and the paleo version. They really were amazingly delicious! We found the paleo version somewhat crumbly, but it was tasty nonetheless. The third version of the recipe which we will try at some point can be made from spelt, kamut or whole wheat flour.

Celia and Cedric: Amazing Apples also had a Nutrition Notes page where they explained why apples are nutritious for you. I liked that this book is about helping stretch children’s imaginations in having fun, and teaching them about cooking and eating nutritious food, especially if you are on a gluten-free or paleo diet.

Celia and Cedric: Amazing Apples will make a great book for reading with your child or as your child gets older for reading on his/her own. I would highly recommend this book to add to your home/school library. I have this book 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the authors for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-celia-and-cedric-amazing.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-celia-and-cedric-amazing.html