Shelf Full of Books

Destined for Trouble by Claudia Lefeve

This was a fun cozy mystery read that’s perfect for the summer. When Jules Cannon flees home after being dumped by her boyfriend, her mother insists on doing the socially expected thing and throws her a welcome home party. Unfortunately the small town’s crab shack owner is found murdered there and her best friend Abby Lee is the main suspect.

I liked Jules’ family which was just as quirky as most of our families are. Her mother feels she has to keep up appearances or “what will the neighbours think!” Her great aunt who runs a local clothing store and ropes Jules into working for her while she’s home is a bit of a meddling old lady who’s a pretty good shot with a rifle even though she’s been tippling.

I liked that Jules grew in her recognition that friendships are important to keep and maintain. She came to realize just how important Abby Lee’s friendship was to her and decided to make an effort to stay in contact with her in the future instead of letting that friendship fade away as she had done in the years that she had been away from home. Theirs seemed to be one of those deep friendships where you can just pick right up from where you left off even if you’ve been separated for quite a while.

I really enjoyed the twists and turns that developed as Jules became involved in the investigation. It seemed to follow her rather than her seeking it out.

Jules’ personal life becomes complicated too as she considers what she wants to do with her career as an FBI crime analyst, and her love life takes on a life of its own.

Destined for Trouble was an entertaining read and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes cozy mysteries. I gave it 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-destined-for-trouble-by.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-destined-for-trouble-by.html