Shelf Full of Books

Prep for Doom by Band of Dystopian

I’ll be honest; I don’t often review collections of short stories because I find the reviews so hard to write. This one was different however. First of all, it was referred to me by an author whose work I had read before. Secondly the stories were all related and supposed to tell one tale. That intrigued me since each author’s story was their own.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well integrated the stories actually were. Each of the stories had their own characters, although there were a few that crossed stories which brought a connectedness to the whole. It was rather like looking at the disaster from outer space and taking snapshots from above.

Each of the authors’ stories was a satisfying story on its own. It had its own beginning, middle and end as every good short story is supposed to. Yet each story was more than that because when combined with the others it was just one small part of a whole picture. The stories didn’t necessarily blend together moment by moment time-wise but as an over-arching view of the catastrophe it gave you an excellent picture of what was happening.

Although technically Prep for Doom was an anthology, each of the stories completes part of an overall, larger story with twists and turns and a mystery of its own to solve. Prep for Doom was fast-paced and kept me reading, often to the exclusion of everything else because I wanted to know the resolution of the mystery presented as part of the twists and turns in the story.

I don’t know how much the author’s collaborated on which parts of the story they were each going to write on, but the testament to their skill as authors is shown in way they each executed their complete stand-alone short story which fits seamlessly into this larger integrated collection of short stories.

I loved this book of short stories! If you like dystopian or apocalyptic books, but shy away from books of short stories, give this one a try. I think you’ll be amazed. I gave Prep for Doom 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-prep-for-doom-by-band-of.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-prep-for-doom-by-band-of.html