Shelf Full of Books

35 Dog Training Mistakes: Mistakes You Are Probably Doing and How to Avoid Them

These 35 items on the author’s list are common things that dog owners often commonly do without realizing they are doing something that creates negative, unwanted behaviour in their four-legged friend. Then they don’t understand why their animal behaves that way. James Goodman’s book is an eye opener that helps dog owners understand how their own behaviour creates (or doesn’t) the desired behaviour in their pet.

I liked the straightforward explanations of what the dog training mistakes taught the owner’s pet instead of the intended behaviour the owner was trying to teach. At the end of each chapter was a “Long story short” summary that summed up what the chapter was saying in a sentence or two. I liked these summations because they boiled the main message down to the basic essence of why the owner should not continue with that error.

The only problem I had with these summations was that they weren’t always written as complete sentences so by the time the reader went from the title of the chapter toe the summation the exact wording of the training error was forgotten and the summation didn’t make sufficient sense. I would have preferred to see the “Long story short” written in a complete sentence so the entire context could be seen right there without having to flip back to the title of the chapter.

Though the titles of the chapters are written in a “negative” sense, all of the author’s methods of teaching the dogs are through reinforcement and praise. None come from punishment or negative reinforcement. I liked this because dogs seemed to be hard-wired to please people and they will do more for a little praise than anything else.

35 Training Mistakes is an easy book to follow and could be read by anyone from middle-grade (age9-12) or up and be able to implement the author’s suggestions. The author’s writing is clear and easy to understand.

Also included with the book is a downloadable free gift of 6 games and activities that you can play with your dog. These games and activities will keep your dog’s mind stimulated and give you a fun time playing with your dog.

I thought that the dog training mistakes included in this book were all very accurate according to other dog books I have read and from owning my own dogs. I liked the format of 35 Dog Training Mistakes. I would definitely recommend it to other dog owners. It’s a short book to read with a lot of helpful information. I gave it 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-35-dog-training-mistakes-by.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-35-dog-training-mistakes-by.html