Shelf Full of Books

David's New Shirt by Karmen Sanda

I loved this little story about a little boy named David who was the youngest in a large family. He always got the last of the hand-me-down shirts which were nearly worn out.

Being a kind and loving child he took care of all the animals that he came across that needed his help. One day, when his shirt finally wore completely out and fell half off him, these wonderful animals that he had helped, each helped him with their skills to make him a new shirt of his very own.

I think the lesson about empathy and caring for others is a very strong message in this story, and it’s a good one. I liked that David was helping those in need without expecting anything in return. Too often we expect something when we do something for others.

While the actions of the animals are not realistic as to what those animals are actually able to do, the story is written in a fairytale style, beginning with “Once upon a time…” so the reader knows the story imaginary. Nevertheless, the lessons contained within are very real.

The font the book is written in is easy to read and is perfect for beginning readers as they look very much like printed letters. This makes this a good book for early readers to start using as they begin to read. Some of the important words in the story have been enlarged and written in a different colour of ink.

I liked the pictures in the story. They are sweet and whimsical. This is a book I would definitely read to my young children or grandchildren. I give David’s New Shirt 5 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-davids-new-shirt-by-karmen.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-davids-new-shirt-by-karmen.html