Shelf Full of Books

Logan's Secret by Suzanne Burke

Based on the true story of Rapido USA's retirement and transition to a forever home, Logan's Secret is told from the point of view of Logan (Rapido USA's new name after retirement).

The book is quite short, easily read in one sitting and geared for middle-graders. The story emphasizes keeping a positive attitude and keeping your mind on your goals rather than letting yourself get bogged down by the negative.

There are several pictures in the book that appear to be sketches or pictures that have been photoshopped so they look like sketches. They add interest to the story, help to tell it and give us an emotional connection to Logan. They also show us some of the variety of coat colourings there are among greyhounds.

I liked that Logan's Secret educated us about greyhound rescue through simple storytelling. Readers learn without actually realize they are learning. For those who want to use the book as a text for learning literary skills, there is a section in the book with vocabulary to learn and questions on the story to answer. This might be helpful to classroom teachers or homeschoolers using this book.

Also at the end of the book is a chapter telling the actual story of Logan's transition from racing dog to retired racing dog. It was good to see where the author moved away from what actually happened to what she created and how she wrote the story to fill in the blanks for the portions of time where she was missing information about Logan's whereabouts. This too might be useful as a lesson in story writing.

Though the book was written for children, I found it quite engaging for adults as well. I enjoy most stories that are based on true events and this one was especially interesting because I got the opportunity to see where the story varied from the actual events.

I liked this book for its educational value about greyhound rescue and the opportunity to compare the actual true story with the fictional story. I also liked the Projects for Children section of the book. There are some interesting activities for students to do based on the book.

I think that anyone with an interest in animals, regardless of age, will appreciate this book. I gave this book 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-logans-secret-by-suzanne.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-logans-secret-by-suzanne.html