Shelf Full of Books

Soaring Through Stars by Rajdeep Paulus

Talia has just moved her things out of the women's shelter and is in the process of moving into her brother Jesse's apartment. While they wait for the pizza to be delivered to celebrate the fact that they are safe and together again, the police arrive and Jesse is arrested for arson and illegal possession of an armed weapon.

This sets in motion the roller-coaster ride of twists and turns in this touching love story. Soaring Through Stars is rich with the message of the importance of not just romantic love, but family love too.

The story is written in such a way that it feels like Talia and Jesse are talking to the reader. The novel is written in the first person point of view, from both Talia and Jesse's perspective. I liked this because it felt as though each of them were speaking to the reader personally.

The author has the ability to evoke emotion in the reader, enabling the reader to identify with the characters. It is easy to feel the pain and anger Jesse holds for his father and feel that anger right along with him. Paulus is a talented writer in the making and I'm looking forward to what she has in store for us in her next project.

Many victims of abuse do not follow through with charges against their abusers for a variety of reasons. Soaring Through Stars deals with a few of those reasons and allows those of us who have never been in that situation some insight into why the abused individual might make the choice not to make that final step that would potentially free them from the one that violated them. These insights give the reader a fresh understanding of the horrible situation the victim must endure in order to get justice for what has been done to them.

Soaring Through Stars is considered young-adult fiction but I would recommend it for all adults. It (along with Swimming Through Clouds and Seeing Through Stones) deal with the very difficult topic of abuse and trafficking. All three books are poignant, sometimes painful yet positive. The series does an incredible job of handling such a difficult subject which is often hidden and shrouded because the victims feel ashamed.

I loved that despite the ashes of Talia and Jesse’s past, Lagan and Talia’s Post-it love story could continue to grow and bloom. Jesse’s character continued to mature and develop now that he could interact with the world instead of being cooped up at home in a wheelchair. The question is though, will he allow his anger to keep everyone at arm’s length, or will he learn to let others close to him?

I gave Soaring Through Stars 5 stars out of 5. The series is a definite must-read.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book is exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-review-soaring-through-stars-by.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-review-soaring-through-stars-by.html