Shelf Full of Books

Gianna the Great by Becky Villareal

Gianna is a very curious young girl. She is always asking questions. She joins an after school history club and when she is asked what she wants to learn about, she tells the teacher that she wants to know more about her family: "where they came from and how they got here." The teacher agrees to help her and they head to the computer lab to begin their research.

Mr. Williams, the teacher, helps Gianna get started on her search into genealogy by filling out a form that provides a birth index and shows who her parents are. By the end of the story she even has a photograph of her grandmother crossing the border with her mother.

Her mother, at first reluctant to hear about these discoveries that Gianna is making, slowly becomes more and more interested until she is just as enthusiastic as Gianna about the next piece of information to be found. She is most ecstatic to have a picture of her mother and cries tears of happiness.

Gianna is excited by all these discoveries and leaves us letting us know that there are more discoveries to tell of on another day.

I thought it was great that Gianna learned that the Internet was a powerful tool for locating all kinds of information. I would have liked to have seen Gianna learn how to use the Internet with assistance to locate what she was looking for though, rather than just being given the information by the teacher. Fortunately for the teacher he only had to do the research for one student. What if there had been 20 students in the club who wanted to research their genealogy?

The writing was clear and concise with definitions of big words close by to help readers understand them. The children spoke like children really do.

I thought Gianna the Great was a very enjoyable book that will spark the curiosity of children about their heritage. I gave this book 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/gianna-great-book-tour-and-giveaway.html

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/gianna-great-book-tour-and-giveaway.html