Shelf Full of Books

The Great Escape: Astro's Adventures (Bk 1) by Susan Day

Astro is a spoiled dog who thinks he is being tortured because his owner won't take him for a walk off leash for a couple weeks when he injures his already hurt leg. He gets in contact with the Organisation and they make plans to liberate him from his cruel incarceration.

Upon finding out that Astro was not bring mistreated, Commander Rocky becomes angry and to show Astro a lesson, has his operatives take Astro to The Checkout, otherwise known as the dog pound where many dogs meet their early demise. Astro learns just what a wonderfully blessed life he truly leads and is determined to help other dogs to have the same opportunity.

This was a cute early novel for children just starting to read chapter books. Children who love animals (dogs in particular) will surely have fun reading about the world from a dog's viewpoint.

There were several drawings included in the book. They appeared to be drawings coloured with pencil crayon and added some interest to the story. I liked the pacing of the book.

I did feel that the characters were not all that well developed and even by the end of the book I couldn't remember which breed of dog each of the operatives were. Despite this, I still believe Astro's Adventures will interest young readers new to chapter books, particularly those with a love for dogs. I gave this book 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books

Source: http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-review-great-escape-by-susan-day.html